June 20, 2014

Pancakes: w/ No Egg, No Milk!

My favorite breakfast food is blueberry pancakes, and I've been on an quest to not only find a way to have them, but how to make them quickly too.  Thanks to some creativity with Bisquick I think I might FINALLY have perfected the recipe!!  And who said you have to wait until the weekend for special breakfast foods like this, when thy can be whipped up SO quick!

As you might already know, as a breastfeeding Mama, I need to stay away from what our baby is allergic to.  Cooking in general is a challenge when I can't use milk (whey, casein), soy (soy lecithin is in everything!), eggs, and peanuts.  So My mission is to find alternative ways of making favorites so this little kiddo can eventually grow-up not feeling deprived of experiencing everyday foods!

Ok, so for this morning: PANCAKES!!

First and foremost, I use coconut oil on the pan.  Cooking spray is hard to find without an allergen-free label so I'm just avoiding it for now.  If you find one, let me know and I'll snatch it up!  The other trick is to your the white box of Heart Smart Bisquick.  here's the recipe on the side of the box...


...and here's how I altered it to be safe and tastier too!

PANCAKES
2 cups Heart Smart Bisquick
1¼ almond milk (regular)
1 Tbsp orange juice
1 tsp sugar

¼ tsp vanilla extract

Now just stir all together and cook on the pan like you would for typical pancakes.  And if you're like me, add blueberries! Yum!



And you might be wondering, "why orange juice?" My husband found it was a nice alternative to the egg because of the color and we're thinking it has something to do with the citrus reaction to the baking soda that is probably in the Bisquick.